Thursday, March 12, 2009

Block 7 Reflections

My first impression about PD online is that 'it appears to be limitless.' As Wesley Fryer notes on one of the Wiki spaces of K-12 Online, you can "learn in your own space at your own pace."
It is also important to note that a person has to be focused in the direction of online PD to know what is out there in cyberspace. I had my own lap tap for two years and it is only this year that I even know about online PD or even where to look to access it.

When you have support and guidance, take the time and make the effort to seek out PD opportunities- the learning rewards are worthwhile. That being said, I now feel that when I take the time to explore, my gains far outweigh the losses that I might incur as my confidence and ability grows. The only real problem I have is regulating my time in front of the computer.

Three main features that I appreciate about online PD are knowing that: I can find support if I start to reach out by asking questions; By taking time to search, I will come across new skills and strategies or issues that make me more aware and informed in my practice; I don't have to know it all because there are others in cyberspace that are willing to share and collaborate. A bonus is that my students are great resources to help me move forward in my online journey.By utilizing their technological skills I welcome them onto the teaching platform. The teacher student relationship becomes reciprocal and the student becomes an ally, mentor and colleague.

Every day that I am online, I learn another skill which leads me towards other discoveries. At times I find creativity deep within my own abilities and other times I am able to create a focus on understanding the broader issues in the world such as collaborating globally, engaging the underused talents of local resources and expert cyber resources,connecting peoples' ideas to some of my own, and bringing in new ideas to help others find their own solutions. Mostly, I feel empowered to share what I find and equally satisfied that I may become the recipient of the next person's take on new found knowledge or skill.

After listening to Podcasts from the K-12 Online Conference, I have learned that true differentiated teaching and learning styles are easily addressed by using the tools of technology.
There are many benefits of becoming a practioner of Classroom 2.0 , Web 2.0,or any online learning opportunity. Most important is the shortness in space and time to which you begin building your repetoire to include as much as you are able to absorb and then some, as long as you have access.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,

    Limitless and endless. I find myself engrossed day after day with new discoveries that I am making through Twitter. It leads me to countless websites and new resources. I have done more reading in the last two months than ever before and I wish I could do more. Thanks for sharing; I hope you keep on blogging even after this class is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good commentary. Online PD opens doors for teachers all over the world and it has the ability to connect people from all over the world

    ReplyDelete