Monday, February 16, 2009

A Critique of a Few Web 2.0 Tools

A Voice Thread is a tool that is easy to use which allows a learner to see and hear their ideas quickly. I like it because it welcomes opinions from others and creates a venue to showcase the many skills and strengths that an individual or group of co-learners might have. Students are able to create conversations right from step one: Which digital photo to take or how to take it or what to include in the shot?
Discussions may flow from what message or lesson the team is trying to convey to new questions that might be generated by the viewer or the creators. I have heard students debate, analyze, and even just listen quietly to the goings-on in a voice thread assignment. They are so interested because there is such a huge focus on them as individuals. It is such a great way to highlight their ideas from beginning to end.

In addition to the creativity and the generation of conversation, students are their own sources of motivation and inspiration as well as the discoverers of their own learning such is the potential that voice thread offers. One student quietly stated to me recently, "Teacher, it is like hearing a new book with different pages when ever someone adds a comment." I thought this was so great coming from a student who claims to hate books...

I have tried Skype a few times and always feel surprised when the computer rings...In a creepy way, it feels like you are always being watched!!It also creates a weird feeling when you are searching for someone and you come across a dozen other people with your name. On the other hand, you can access other sites to research while talking to your caller. The information is always at your fingertips. It is easy to multitask during a call and just as easy to lose track during a conversation.
I have had some problems understanding others who use their web cam during a conversations. It seems like there is a lot of static when the camera is used and voice clarity and fluidity is compromised

Skype advertizes free usage but nothing is free. The ads fool people because we all pay for hookup and we all pay for continued connection. Children also pressure their parents for many reasons to get connected and remain connected. Basic internet services may be inexpensive now but with so many people 'fixated' on the tool, I'm sure they would pay any price to stay connected.

I have been recently introduced to Slide Share. A YouTube video about it referred to it as "powerpoint with voice". It seems like an efficient tool to get the message across clear and quick. It can show charts, stats, just about anything. The directions to add audio were a bit confusing to me because I have not learned about podcasting yet and that will take a while I'm sure to learn how to use efficiently.

Movie Maker is a fun tool to use, sort of like a powerpoint idea. It is time consuming and frustrating if you are trying to rush through decoding the steps but enjoyable if you have lots of time. I have started to use my little bits of rest time to experiment with different features on movie maker. I always have more questions at the end of the process but I am learning to rely on my own good judgement at understanding the various steps and procedures. I think it is making me a better trouble shooter!

Every tool has its place in the real and virtual world. Making a decision on when and where to use the tools is easy if you have all of the information and practice underway. I feel pressure and stress to learn these tools quickly that I feel like I am going about it the wrong way or the long way. In order to deal with this pressure, I am asking for assistance from a variety of people. I am asking students to teach me the shortcuts, the longcuts and everything in between and the great thing about this is, is that they like to show the way every now and then. So for them, it is empowering.

Two criticisms that I have read about in Reader's Digest are as follows:

Reader's Digest Feb.09 p.20-21 In the article "What Drives Our Celebrity Obsession" Erin Phelin speaks of regular folks virtually stalking celebrity via various media and mentions "escapism" as a reason to get away from our dull real worlds that we inhabit as ordinary people. I see this as being a valid reason for many teens/individuals of every age to be absorbed into technology. Life may be or seem better somewhere else!

Another reason cited in Reader's Digest is the creation of "faux family" by the tech. users. After seeing how long some children/ adults can stay online or connect through gaming, they are seeking people who think like them and act like them, perhaps-people they choose, rather than the people they are assigned to via biological family. connection.

My own criticism is based on personal experience .Technology is very time consuming and addictive. Hours may pass without ever having gotten down to the real task or purpose of the day. It is costly in more ways than money: In terms of time, I know students who stay up all night and sleep all day, not coming to school and not being able to or not wanting to function at all in the real world. Finding a balance and a good teacher who is able to teach how to do the job well are problems that many school have yet to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment