Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Learning Theories Reflected in Web 2.0 Tool Usage

Reflect on how you would use/apply these tools with your learners and the learning theory they reflect.

To begin with, I am happy to report that my students are very happy to be introduced to the various tools thus far. I am finding that my students are really interested in learning what I am doing in this class and how to use the tools althougth I feel bad that they are only going as fast I as can go in learning how to use these tools.
The motivation and the inspiration to learn help to offset many of my students issues with reading so if they can work in pairs or small groups of 3-4 they are able to talk through any kinks related to reading comprehension in order to understand the requirements for creating a post or a voice thread. By coordinating the strenghts of individuals , each becomes a teacher when required. It is so wonderful to see them praising and encouraging each other. THere have days where our 'leaders' were absent and that affected their smaller group's confidence and work ethic. They have indicated to me " we will try!"
so long as they don't have to write with a pen and take copius amounts of notes as was required in every previous grade,

Thus far, we have spent alot of time experimenting with digital photography and digital videography as a base for other tools usage: powerpoints, voicethread, flickr photo cube, movie maker and hopefully slideshare soon.
We have taken photos for just about every subject but mostly have been using them in E.L.A., in part to create a blog for our reading project with our colleagues in Michigan. The students are facinated that our Cree Culture is easily conveyed through photos, movie maker and I want podcasting experience very soon as soon as I have a minute to teach myself first!

Every student seems to have a preference for the visual tools. Perhaps because it is a safe medium and extension of what content and ideas they feel are valuable and worthwhile to them as individuals and can be shared without having to project any immediate auditory imput. Their ability to choose and actively decide what to work on and learn about seems to be the best aspect of employing the tools. The sky is the limit! Not only are the photos conversation starters but they are 'feel good' products because there is a certain amount of trust required to have a $300. camera in a child's hands for the afternoon.

We have experimented with voice threads mostly to gain confidence in speaking audibly
and fluidly. We are starting to understand the ramifications of using such a tool: The privacy one has in this arena is still questioned when one realizes that the whole world can potentially hear our voices; Mostly it is fun to hear oneself; Exciting to know that we could do this just about anywhere; That practice does make for comfortability and creativity; And that our message can flow to an audience who may participate and engage us into their insights. The participation rate is over 90% and the excitement by just about everyone in the class has been the best change since using the tools so far. Some students have indicated their willingness to be the script writer or keyboarder as long as they don't have to come up with all of the ideas alone which really makes the people who hate to write very happy and gung ho to be able to chat everyone up with all sorts of ideas and comments on what road to take.

Our movie making experiences thus far have seemed disjointed when we consider the problems we have had accessing the computers. Creating the setting and finding access to computers for my own class is a big job that needs daily attention.
Finding access to 24 computers more than once a week for one hour is our biggest problem. Alternatively, our library is small with only 8-10 functioning computers, rotation is a big deal and it feels unproductive when students can only work for 20 minute time slots. Most students like me, need to orient ourselves to the task by searching and creating practical applications for ourselves to get our ideas moving. They are easily upset when we have to leave the computer/library area.


At times we are all amazed at the finished product because it literally took a group to accomplish what seemed too impossible for one. Time moves quickly on these days and work sessions are very enjoyable. Our products are not perfect but they are off the ground and running and it is reassuring to know that we can edit anytime we want.

Connectivism is the first learning theory to come to mind. Students who are connected via technology are participating, engaging, communicating, creating, cocreating, collaborating, and are a part of something much bigger than themselves as individuals. Their projects, data, knowledge , and skill level are continuously changing and being acquired and refined in various ways sometimes because of their own efforts and abilities but often times due to networking and connecting with others who could be anywhere. George Seimens, creator of the connectivism theory, speaks about 'utilizing the best resources with the best minds to create the best product' in a world of "chaos and tectonic shifts." http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

Secondly, the constructist theory of learning applies here also when
students who are able to communicate basic ideas and negotiate logically within a group that actively listens and constructs meaning or focuses direction on a link within that idea are able to use the tools to actively advance their intention, message, purpose or whatever goal they have in mind. David H. Jonassen says that "constructivism proposes that learning environments should support multiple perspectives or interpretations of reality, knowledge construction, and context-rich, experience-based activities." http://www.quasar.ualberta.ca/techcur/THEORY/constructivism.htm

The old idea still holds true today that more minds are better than one. Every one's experiences - past and present- counts as an indicator of expert knowledge/and or practical abilities. By linking previous knowledge and practices, constructly speaking, like pieces in a puzzle, everyone has a role to play and every role is regarded as important and necessary in getting the job details accomplished and knowledge organized, put into context and processed.
Hmmmm...sort of like Aboriginal cultures of generations past valuing and needing each and every role ,including their abilities to adapt to and adopt the best of the best and leave the rest behind.
History does tend to repeat itself, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl - I can feel the enthusiasm you are generating with your exploration into new tools and strategies for learning. It reminds me of what happened in my own classroom 9 years ago when I began this journey. It was scary not to "know everything" and be the source of all information for my students. Being comfortable saying, "I don't know. How could we find out?" was a strange shift for me. I remember many times coming back from a workshop and saying to my students, "We are going to use x for our Language Arts project. I only remember the first few steps of using this program so we are going to have to help one another figure this out." What risks I was taking.

    But at the end of the year a group of my students said, "Mrs. M. you've really learned a lot this year". To me that was pivotal. Had I ever demonstrated my learning journey to students? Had I ever been a co-learner with my students before? Had I ever allowed my students to be the teachers they had become and allow myself to learn from them in significant ways?

    At the end of that school year, the educational technology consultant came to my classroom and interviewed me about my experience integrating technology. I was thrilled to be able to share how my teaching had changed and how the environment and the students' learning had become much more student centered. That question that really gave me food for thought was. "Has the learning improved and if so how do you know?"
    That is the question that really propelled me into graduate studies.

    Your analogy for the roles students play is lovely. I know that for myself in working with students, more than anything else, the technology allowed for diverse learners to access and process information in varied ways, for learners to show what they know in various ways and for more learners to truly work at levels that were challenging but doable. Technology provided me with tools and opportunities to differentiate the learning experience and motivate learners. The result was higher levels of engagement and what I believe to be, deeper levels of learning.

    You are either an inspiration to others around you or a threat. Take both of these as a compliment!

    Marnie

    ReplyDelete