Thursday, February 26, 2009





I am using this as an example of a young person's creativity and connection to their passion or as M. Prensky calls it , "motivation" or attachment to something meaningful that results in learning, which is also fun by the way...
I just finished listening to Mark Prensky's podcast "Engage Me or Enrage Me" and how he's heard from students who tell him that they have to 'powerdown' because the institution of formal education isn't able to see what the students know to be true in this day and age which is to be connected, engaged and motivated to do better than their last effort. Thank goodness for programmers who are most likely youth for having the freedom to create and think beyond the boxy wall,as you see here.

This art, this masterpiece, this bit of genius... well, that is the way that I see this glog and thanks to Rosalena S. for posting her own glog which made me want to investigate a bit more into this tool. This is the first glog I came across made by a young very intelligent and creative lady.

I see so many objectives in this one piece such as: music genre catergorization; time line of music; message medium;artistism; originality;critical and creative thinking, that this student has touched upon that I look forward to seeing more of 'squirrlygirl's work...glogs!!

Prensky adds that 'teachers don't have to find each and every tool, nor learn how to use every tool, they just need to ask the right questions of the students in order to guide them to meet the objectives in the curriculum while the students go about incorporating the tools in their assignments.'
Makes me feel much better and I realize this is a powerful way to send the message to the students that we respect them for their intellect,creativity, knowledge, and that we as teachers are meeting them on their territory and want them to share their expertise. Rather than "power down", they'll 'log on'...lol.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific. I used a glog in this week's Brain Blurt and provided a link so hopefully our next step it is to make your own.

    I am thrilled you listened to Prensky. His podcast is one of the PD links I will include in next week's block 7. I have heard him, read his books and quite enjoy his perspective. What he says was echoed by one of the students in my thesis research. The Gr. 8 student told me that his real learning started after 3:30. I was speechless - in those few words he captured the essence of the disconnect between many classroom learning environments and today's learners.

    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. squirrelygurl, 1 hour
    Hey thanks Cheryl, your message really made my day. And of course I would love to give you permission to use my glog, go right ahead, I would be honored.

    And no, I'm currently not in school as my funds at the moment just won't allow me to be. If you don't mind though what type of careers would you suggest I use my glogster "skills" in?
    Close | Block this user | Reply

    -----------------
    lrnr wrote: 3 days
    Hi,
    I am a university student enrolled in a Master's of Education Program and am just learning about web 2.0 tools! I came across your glog 'Music Rainbow' and thought it was an excellent way to show a youth's creativity and connectivity to their passion. I would like to use it as an example of how students-youth are able to use the tools of technology to engage and enhance their learning while still meeting the criteria that curriculum sets out for them. I would appreciate your permission even though Glogster.com allows us to share it.
    Excellent Work on your other glogs. Do you get credit in school for these? Your talent is your ticket to any number of great careers.
    Cheryl
    cmm-@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete