Thursday, February 5, 2009

What evidence of “theory in practice” do you see in your learning environment? Your larger learning community?

Within my school setting, I see my fellow Master's classmates incorporating technology in their classes and in their Action Research project by way of creating videos to get students' voices heard about the serious concerns in a teen's life and create awareness/ solutions on how to reduce bullying. These students are making the message that their peers will hear and hopefully more able to listen and learn from the messages. I am aware of a small group of students who are utilizing an on-line independent learning for Career Education students in Grade 12. Their maturity and independence is evident when I see how interested they are in their own learning. No one is telling or demanding them to sit still or listen or stay focused. There seems to be respect and others values rising to the occasion in this learning environment. I believe this is so because of our new awarenesses and beliefs in oneself to be able to utilize the various kinds of technology available to us through our courses in the Community Based Action Research Master's Program that we have been fortunate to be included in.

Access, Assistance, Availability, and a new Appreciation about technology are the main reasons that I would say I am wanting to use technology in my own classes and with my students to assist them in their practice and acqusition of new skills. I want them to have the world at their fingertips readily and to engage with new partners with confidence. I want them to enquire, assist and forge ahead in order to learn how to use the tools correctly and safely to help themselves have access to the most up to date information that they are able to analyze its usefulness and accuracy. I want them to be connected and to make great decisions in order to make a difference in their lives and in the lives of others. I want them to know that these tools are only tools but that it is their choices, their willingness, their drive that will be enhanced if they choose to utilize technology.

"Learning is an active process of constructing rather than acquiring knowledge and
Instruction is a process of supporting that construction rather than communicating knowledge. "
(Duffy and Cunningham, 1996. p.171).


I am also learning about and creating a blog with my students and our new project participants to use to introduce and document our journey and our understandings in a Reading Around the Planet project. A year ago, I would not have felt capable to create a voice thread and embed it in the new blog or to show my students the tools that will enhance their learning. Today, I know who I can call or what sites I can access to assist me in this new venture.

My students love the idea that we will meet our new partners through our blog first , and through emails. and then through a video conference. I could see even the shyest students show an interest because they do not feel pressured to stand up in front of a crowd to show their best or most creative work. These ideas have generated discussions on ideas to get us started, independent thinking, collaboration , and a collective feeling that this is our project. Whether or not it works is not yet a concern because right now it seems that we are all willing and able to try. Motivation is key and that is what we have right now.

I will teach internet safety and give my students guidelines to get the job completed but they will have room to experiment with the tools, freedom to explore their interests and opportunity to teach each other what they know. Collectively, I beleive we will be richer for the experiences once we are able to see through the emotions of such an adventure.I see this learning and teaching style as belonging to the constructivist model.

Driscoll highlights features of a constructivist classroom:

"Providing complex learning environments that incorporate authentic activity. Constructivists argue that learners should learn to solve the types of complex problem they will face in real life.";

"Learning is a cultural interchange and requires social negotiation.";

"The learner must examine the material from multiple perspectives...using multiple modes of representation.";

" The learner takes ownership of their own thinking and learning processes. Driscoll (1994) assets that reflexivity and by extension critical thinking are central attributes in the constructivist methodology, as it enables learners to understand how and why cognition creates meaning.";

"Emphasise student-centred instruction.” Bruner (1966) calls this “discovery learning”.

http://elearningcurve.edublogs.org/2008/06/17/constructivism-learning-environments-an-introduction-2/

Bruner, J. S. (1966) Toward a Theory of Instruction. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Driscoll, M. P. (1994). Psychology of learning for instruction. Boston, MA. Allyn & Bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cheryl,

    I am always so impressed by how thoroughly you research the things you write about. I am so happy to see your confidence growing in using technology.

    I loved the quote from Duffy and Cunningham. I have to star this blog on reader so I can go back to it.

    I would like to ask you to provide links to the main concepts you write about to make it easier to find. If you need help learning how to do that give me a call. You know how to reach me.

    Thanks again for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Links are at the bottom of my post. Thks for your input.

    ReplyDelete